- The Professional and Career Development Travel Grant supports WSU Graduate and Professional students on registration and transportation expenses for professional development activities including but not limited to conferences (NOT PRESENTED), workshops (NOT PRESENTED), certifications, professional training, exhibitions, performances, competitions, and foreign language instruction.
- The primary purpose of such activities is professional and career development, such as events where you are an invited speaker (when costs of the trip are not already covered by the inviter), conferences you attend as an officer of a professional organization, or certificates you earn as a proof of competency in a specific skill, technique, method, or software.
- These activities must relate directly to the graduate and professional students' professional/career development, NOT an academic requirement of the degree. Students must explain the benefit of travel/ attendance for their professional and career development at the application.
To apply for this type of grant, you have to fill out two forms at the Coug Presence platform which are described below. You have to submit both forms (1 & 4) to be considered for the review process.
Important Point: Coug Presence doesn't let you fill out Form 4 before submitting Form 1. Please submit Form 1, then you have access to Form 4. Please don't forget to log in at the Coug Presence before filling out the form.
A. Fill form "GPSA Travel Grant-Form 1: General information" and attach the following document to the form. The link is available on this page.
1. Proof of attendance or completion of degree
2. Travel and registration receipts
3. Create Spend Authorization Form
- For in-person travels, this form should be created with guidance from the host department travel coordinator through the WSU Workday platform (How to create Spend Authorization Form).
- For virtual/online activities, there is NO NEED to provide the pretravel authorization form. This means that you need to contact (through email) the travel coordinator of your department and let them know you apply for a travel grant. You will upload a screenshot of your email communication with the travel coordinator in Coug Presence as proof of contact with a travel coordinator.
- Don't forget to blind your name and email address in the uploaded document. The reason that we request such proof is that if being awarded, all the financial processes will go through the travel coordinators. So, they have to be informed about your application ahead of time.
B. Fill form "GPSA Travel Grant-Form 4: Professional and Career Development". The quality of your responses to the questions will be evaluated in the review process. The link is available on this page.
- Award amounts per application will NOT exceed $500 for professional development activities.
- NOTE: Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, eligible expenses also include registration fees for virtual professional development activities. These awards may not be used for travel expenses (e.g., airfare) if you attend a virtual event. In your application, please specify the cost of virtual registration fees.